Trivium have confirmed that their Brixton Academy concert next month will take place at a different venue.
The heavy metal band was scheduled to perform at the London venue on January 15, but the 5,000-capacity venue was ordered closed earlier this month after a crowd at a recent Asake concert resulted in two deaths. The premises will not open before January 16, the date the license suspension will be reviewed.
As a result, the Trivium show will no longer take place at the venue, but the band have now confirmed that the show will go ahead, with a new venue to be confirmed.
They wrote on Twitter: “London, due to recent events at the O2 Academy Brixton, our show in London on Sunday 15th January will go ahead, and on the same date, at a different venue.
“We will announce the details in January, so please hold on to your tickets, they will remain valid.”
The incident happened when people outside the venue at Asake’s show on December 15th tried and managed to force their way in, leading to overcrowding and the concert being canceled midway through.
Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, died in hospital on December 17, and Gaby Hutchinson, 23, died two days later. The third assistant, aged 21, remains in hospital in a critical condition.
The venue has been voluntarily closed since Asake’s concert, but Lambeth Council has decided it will remain closed until January 16.
Following the incident, Scotland Yard called for the venue’s license to be temporarily suspended, alleging “serious crime and disorder” during the show, and the Metropolitan Police has launched a further criminal investigation, calling for a review of the centre’s licence.
A Met spokesman said: “The decision to suspend or amend the venue’s license will be taken by the Local Authority Licensing Sub-Committee.”
The license review application added: “Police were called to the premises in response to reports of a serious disorder which posed a clear threat to public safety. During the incident, a crowd forced their way into the premises , which caused serious injuries to several people and two of them lost their lives.
The headquarters said it is “still devastated by this tragic situation and fully supports the ongoing investigation.”
Police have appealed to anyone with information that could help clear up the case and have created an online portal to send information, images or recordings. Approximately 4,000 witnesses were present at the time of the incident.