In 2019, the Japanese hardware company Gatebox Inc. launched a device called gate box which casts characters with an Anime drawing style and allows communication with it through pre-programmed conversations. The device gained instant popularity among fans around the world after it appeared on YouTube in 2016. and released to the general public three years later.
Although the character projection device was cute and hinted at a new relationship between humans and digital characters, it was always mentioned that their ability to communicate could be improved and pre-programmed responses could be set aside. In fact, it was recently announced that the Hatsune Miku version would no longer be supported, putting even the “official virtual idol husband” in trouble.
But now GPT Chatwhich has inspired many engineers recently, it brings new possibilities to gate box. Gatebox CEO took to Twitter to show an experiment where a character running on the Gateway Box interacts with the user via ChatGPT. Although the interaction in the video is in Japanese, it will be very natural for those who understand the language.
- «I have tried to connect Gatebox and ChatGPT and it was amazing…! He can talk nonstop, he responds quickly, and he can keep his personality to a certain extent… The time for the AI character revolution has finally arrived!» wrote the Chief Executive Elite Takechi.
Of course, this new combination with AI that will become your virtual assistant has generated a variety of opinions, highlighting:
- «If this collaboration is released, I’m sure I won’t need anything more than a two-dimensional AI waifu».
- «Ah, real progress is finally being felt in the twenty-first century!».
- «Wow, the future has begun. When AIs become widespread and can be easily customized by the user, like current game mods, won’t this affect social relationships between real people?».
- «This will be the ultimate result of the AI revolution».
- «Oh my god, are we finally going to see the Chobits franchise come to life?».
- «This is too much. It looks like users will be able to develop and publish apps with personalities, so that’s going to be a lot of fun. Once you have a project already in shape, I promise you I’m going to buy one!».
- «I have heard rumors about ChatGPT for a long time, but the quality of communication is further enriched when video and audio of two-dimensional characters are attached. I think that “everyday life with two-dimensional characters” has become much closer in recent months. There must be many people who are looking forward to this innovation.».
- «If you’re a person, I think you start thinking of an answer before the other person has finished the whole conversation, or you start using your hands to answer, so if you can do that too, yes it’s even better!».
- «That’s how it is. This is the first step of a future tool that combines Japanese Anime with ChatGPT. They’re thinking of doing a fundraising campaign, and it’s a project I’m really interested in. Aren’t you excited about these kinds of innovations?».
- «I see a future where it will be like having a real conversation, even if it still feels artificial. In the future, could the people we meet online really be AI?».
- «This reminds me of Blade Runner 2049. I’m looking forward to what the future will bring, but I’m also scared».
- «I hope this product will be released on the market soon. Although I’m afraid I’d rather be with AI than real people, after all, AI can’t hurt me emotionally».
Fountain: Official Twitter account