Suzume by Toaka and the RADWIMPS, the theme song for Makoto Shinkai’s film of the same name, is now available in full ahead of its November 11 opening in Japan. RADWIMPS, who composed the music for the movie with Kazuma Jinnouchi, are also behind the theme song, which was written by their vocalist Yojiro Noda. The song was featured in both the recent trailers and can be streamed on YouTube and Spotify.
The Japanese title of the film is Suzume no Tojimari. Thecast was recently revealed in full and includes:
- Nanoka Hara as Suzume Iwato
- Hokuto Matsumura as Souta Munakata
- Eri Fukatsu as Tamaki Iwato
- Shota Sometani as Minoru Okabe
- Kana Hanazawa as Tsubame Iwato
- Sayri Ito as Rumi Ninomiya
- Kotone Hanase as Chika Amabe
- Matsumoto Koshiro IX/Hakuo Matsumoto as Htsujiro Munakata
The plot of the film is described as follows:
17-year-old Suzume’s journey begins in a quiet town in Kyushu when she meets a young man who tells her, “I’m looking for a door.” What Suzume finds is a single weathered door standing upright in the middle of the ruins, as if it had been protected by any disaster. Seemingly drawn to its power, Suzume reaches for the button…
Doors begin to open one after another across Japan, unleashing destruction on anyone near. Suta is known as the “Closer” who travels around Japan locking these doors.
However, when the door opens, a mysterious white cat nicknamed “AristoCat” appears in front of them. “I love Suzume, but you [Souta] get in the way” as she utters these words, Suzuta transforms into Suzume’s high chair, which she has loved since she was a child.
Suzuta chases the cat like a three-legged chair, and Suzume sprints after Souta in a panic. They would eventually travel together from Kyushu to Shikoku, Kansai and Tokyo on their way to the closed doors.
During her travels, Suzume meets several people who help her as she helps them. But what awaited her at the end of her journey was a certain truth that had long been forgotten.
Guided by these mysterious doors, Suzume’s journey is about to begin.
The film’s crew, led by Makoto Shinkai, includes:
- Director / Screenplay / Story: Makoto Shinkai
- Character Design: Masayoshi Tanaka
- Animation Director: Kenichi Tsuchiya
- Art Director: Takumi Tanji
- Production Company: CoMix Wave Films Inc.
- Production company: STORY inc.