The editorial department of the Japanese portal All News Information conducted a survey between October 17 and November 8, asking its readers: “What mangas have you decided not to finish reading?». Among the fan community, the act of stopping reading manga is called “fall“, derived from the way English speakers refer to it.
The act of “fall sleeves” can be triggered by any number of things, depending on the reader, but it usually occurs when the story becomes boring, repetitive, or just plain disappointing to the reader. One of the most common cases is when the main character rejects one of the girl applicants in a romantic comedy, causing the fans who supported her to stop reading the work. Maybe this is why rom-com manga authors don’t make a formal relationship or rejection formal in their stories until the final stretch?
For this article we must focus only on the first ten positions, and we will refer to the comment made on the first three.
- Second place (tie): Second place was a tie between shingeki no kyojin (Attack on Titan), manga written and illustrated by hajime isayama and published between 2009 and 2021. The third and final part of the final season will air in 2023, and although the drama has ended, it still has a wide fan base.
- Respondents stated: “I got tired of reading that» ; «I stopped reading it because it became a depressing story», «It was a war story between people, so I lost interest» ; Y”From the twentieth volume onwards, the subject became very complicated to understand, and the story became a mess.“, among others.
- Second place (tie): It was the other tie for second place Kaisen jujutsumanga written and illustrated by Gege Akutami and is currently being published, with a second season planned for 2023.
- Among the respondents were comments such as: «I stopped understanding the material at one point, so I stopped reading it» ; «I found the anime much more interesting than the manga, so I immediately stopped reading.» ; «I liked it at first, but the story lost its appeal after Gojo was sealed» ; «I read through the first six volumes, but it just wasn’t my story. I couldn’t relate to the story, there was no explanation of the techniques and everything happened suddenly and just because of him“, among others.
- First place: First place was taken at one piecewhich celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of its publication in July 2022. With 104 published compilation volumes, the story has already become a home stretch with more than 500 million copies sold worldwide.
- Among the respondents were comments such as: «There are too many stories and characters, and although there are flashbacks for them, it is very difficult to remember the details to understand what is happening right now. I got tired of reading it all the time» ; «The battle scenes take too long, and the story didn’t progress at all, so it pissed me off» ; «The story feels very heavy, especially for its length. I stopped reading it for two reasons» ; «I lost interest in the story when the number of drawings per panel increased and the story lost its seriousness» ; «I stopped reading around book fifty, if I remember correctly I didn’t like the way the drawing changed“, among others.
Finally, the full list of the most dropped sleeves was as follows:
- Revengers 8.Tokyo (tie).
- 8.Naruto (tie).
- 8. Glass or Kamen (glass mask) (tie).
- 8.Dragon Ball (tie).
- 7. Bleach.
- 6. Kingdom.
- 5. Detective Conan.
- 4. HUNTER x HUNTER.
- 2.Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) (tie).
- 2. Jujutsu Kaisen (tie).
- 1.One piece.
Copyright © All About, Inc. All rights reserved.