While it is true that Blu-ray/DVD sales are no longer an indicator of success in anime production, The fact that fans of a series are willing to invest money to buy this type of product certainly shows that it is popular and has a promising future.. That’s why Japanese fans still appreciate the Blu-ray/DVD sales numbers, and even keep an eye on the booking ratings.
That is what brings us together today, since we are approaching the end of the season of Summer-2023 (June-September) and before the release of the first Blu-ray/DVD of the streaming anime, it is the perfect time to review the series with the highest number of physical discs reserved so far on Amazon Japan. Little surprise and at the same time as the streaming ratings, the second season of Mushoku Tensei: Reincarnation without a Job headed the list in first place.
After that Yohane the Parhelion: Sunshine in the Mirror secondly, a series of spin-offs Love Live! Sunshine!!; and now Jujutsu Kaisen second season in the third place. We can understand that the TOP 3 is occupied by nothing more than sequels or spin-offs of other animes, which is why some people are of the opinion that the new series released during the this season.
If you are interested in the “new series” that managed to sneak into the reservation list, then Dekiru Neko wa Kyu mo Yuuutsu (The Master Cat is Depressed Again Today(e) he has the fourth place; Ayakashi triangle he has the fifth position; Watashi no Shiawase and Kekkon (My Happy Marriage(e) he has the seventh place; and Atelier Ryza: Ever Dark & Hidden Secret The Animation complete the TOP 10 in tenth place.
Naturally, this listing attracted a variety of comments on comment forums in Japan:
- «Even as a spin-off of Love Live!, it was able to get a fair number of bookings.».
- «I don’t know what happens with the physical discs, but they are sold less and less».
- «Even though it was a bad season, I’m surprised Blu-ray/DVD sales are still there».
- «In the end, only sequels like Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation succeed, no new series has managed to catch the eye of the majority.».
- «Last year, Lycoris Recoil revived the Blu-ray/DVD market, and last year Lycoris Recoil and Bocchi the Rock!, but it looks like neither will be able to make it this year.».
- «Today, the second season is defined by streaming success, not Blu-ray/DVD sales. Unfortunately, this has resulted in many series that are not very popular in Japan but get a sequel just because a lot of people from overseas watched it.».