Boy George has questioned Matt Hancock’s reasons for appearing on I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here, saying he did it for fun and to improve his image.
The Culture Club singer, who appeared in the latest series of the ITV reality show, said in a new interview that he does not believe the MP’s claims that he went into the jungle to take advantage of what he previously said was in “honest and filters. ” to communicate with voters.
Hancock, MP for West Suffolk and Health Secretary for much of the COVID pandemic, insisted in an article published by The Sun last month that his constituents were his “first priority”. She also said that, as someone with dyslexia, she wanted to use the show to raise awareness of the disease and to draw attention to her ongoing campaign for it.
During the program, Hancock said he was participating to apologize for the pandemic and manage other controversies. He appears to have applied that notion to his extramarital affair with Conservative councilor Gina Rinehart, who was photographed embracing him in an office as lockdown guidelines on domestic mixtures came into force.
But Boy George has said he does not believe Hancock’s reasons for joining I’m A Celebrity, a move which led the Conservative Party to withdraw the whip from Hancock.
“Don’t believe anything Matt says about why he did I’m A Celebrity this year,” George told The Sun on Sunday over the weekend. “He’s done it because he wants to kick back and have a good time” [citas del periódico vía The Mirror].
George added: “We all know that politicians are real people. We also know that everybody wants to be a rock star, everybody. Especially politicians. So some people’s reasons can’t be believe to do something.
“Ultimately, they’re doing it to get a bigger profile, a little more attention, hoping to show people a different side.”
Hancock defied many expectations by reaching the show’s final before losing out to runner-up Hollyoaks actor Owen Warner and 2022 winner England women’s footballer Jill Scott.
On the show, ITV news presenter George and Charlene White asked him about his handling of the pandemic.
Hancock’s decision to join the show led to his suspension from the Conservative Party. Last month he was criticized by the Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak, who announced that he was “disappointed” by the move, adding that it was only fair that he would lose the Tory whip afterwards.
Last week, Hancock confirmed that he will not stand as an MP in the next general election (which will be held no later than January 2025). The MP claimed that he will instead try to “influence public debate” from outside Parliament.
In the TikTok clip, he said that while it was a “huge privilege” to do his job, he was looking to “engage with the public in new ways”.
It did not take long for the representatives of the opposition parties to pronounce themselves. Labor MP David Lammy told Hancock “well done” and called him a “walking disaster”, while Jess Philips admitted he was “absolutely depressed” that “Matt Hancock thinks you can only communicate about politics by going on a reality show.”
For her part, Caroline Lucas, of the Green Party, was equally dismissive: “We are all looking forward to leaving Parliament once and for all.” Later, he joked about the possibility of her joining Strictly Come Dancing.
Elsewhere, The Telegraph has reported that the former Health Secretary is planning a series of “serious documents” on assisted dying and dyslexia.