The popularity Reiji Miyajimaauthor of the manga franchise Kanojo, Okarishimasu (Rent A Girl), shared an update via his official Twitter account showing his first drawing compared to one of his latest. The author added the hashtag #独学でしますましますたたからお前も頑張れ (I have grown so much in myself, you should too), which artists use to encourage applicants by showing them “how bad they were before“.
For that reason, the author shared a performance he did in his early days as an artist, which is very different from what he does today. And the author wrote: «He’s not exactly self-taught, not at all. Under the influence of the teaching of the many teachers who helped me, and the work of many others, I managed to get a job as an artist!».
Naturally, his post found its way to comment boards in Japan, where it prompted comments such as:
- «True before and after».
- «I have less ability to draw than the image on the left».
- «I wish Miyajima-sensei would try to draw Son Goku in his current style.».
- «I find it to be one of the most faithful publications in this hashtag».
- «Wow, the one on the left would look like the author of Dragon Ball».
- «I thought it was great, but how old is the drawing on the left?».
- «Is this a new kind of trick? huh?».
- «It’s like I was reborn in another world and chose to know how to draw as a broken skill.».
- «The popularity of Dragon Ball is incredible, so much so that I know the drawing on the left, as bad as it is, has something to do with that franchise.».
- «A vision that can only be seen by those who have continued to work hard».
- «People who can draw correctly from head to toe are really good cartoonists.».
Summary of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Kazuya Kinoshita is a 20-year-old college student who has a wonderful girlfriend: the wonderful Mami Nanami. But suddenly, no more. Without warning, Mami breaks up with him, leaving him heartbroken and lonely. Trying to ease his pain, he hires a girl for hire through an online app. His partner is Chizuru Mizuhara, who manages to win Kazuya’s affection through her incomparable beauty and cute behavior. But after reading similar experiences from other clients of Chizuru’s, Kazuya is convinced that the caring personality and warm smile were just an act to play on his heart, and he considers her badly.
Worse, Chizuru criticizes him for his shameless hypocrisy, revealing his true temperament personality. This one-sided exchange is cut short, however, when Kazuya learns that his grandmother has collapsed. They rush to the hospital and find Kazuya’s grandmother already in good condition. When Chizuru is present, Grandma asks who this girl could be. On impulse, Kazuya introduces her as his real girlfriend, forcing Chizuru to play the role. But with Kazuya still anchored to Mami, how long can this difficult client and reluctant rent girl keep up their act?
(c) 宮島礼吏・講談社 KODANSHA